Three years. Can you believe it? This has been a hectic year for scheduling, and there was a lot of experimentation in content styles – particularly in branching out more into western animation and even books.
Outside this blog, I was published in the anthology Cthulhusattva, discovered the joy that is Dr. Herbert West (still waiting on that figure, Funko), survived not one but TWO Steven Bombs and a solid month of daily recaps, and launched a podcast. I’ve learned a lot about my own writing and what does and doesn’t work in creating online content, and I’m hoping to keep this blog going strong in the year to come. Particularly since, at time of writing, I’m involved with a couple exciting things I can’t tell you about just yet.
Thanks to all of you readers, new and old. And to the kind supporters of this blog’s Patreon. I couldn’t do it without you.
And now, the traditional sharing of stats!
The Ten Most Popular Essays in the Past Year
1. They Fought Aliens and Fell in Love: Why Samurai Flamenco is Important
2. Trauma Isn’t Sexy: Fanservice in Neon Genesis Evangelion vs Rebuild
3. Queerness is Not a Gimmick: A Look at Persona 4’s Failed Representation, and How Persona 5 Can Fix it
4. The Value of OFF after Undertale
5. The Consulting Analyst – An Introduction to Revolutionary Girl Utena
6. The Black Tapes’ Clever Apophenia: How the Internet Tells Stories
7. The Boy Who Went to the Castle: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Silenced Queer Narrative
8. The Consulting Analyst – The Rose Bride
9. A History of Herbert West – ReAnimator
10. Let the Great Gravity Falls Rewatch Begin
Annual View Count
Most Readers By Country
- United States
- United Kingdom
Most Popular Search Terms
- samurai flamenco gay (the eternal legacy of this blog; long may it rein)
- vrai kaiser (and misspelled variants thereof; who cares, you’re here! welcome!)
- fujiko mine (does this mean more than five people will have seen the Fujiko Mine anime. UNADULTERATED WIN)
And the best metric, Weirdest Search Terms
- jigen oh my bff (I hope this person was looking for a Lupin III mashup with that mid-2000s phone commercial, and I hope they succeeded)
- cotton selarmoon (is that the name of the eldritch noodle creature in Crystal?)
- pic of girl holding boyfriends head yelling mine (they came for hijinks and got NICE BOAT)
- does shinji have depression (friend, I am about to BLOW YOUR MIND)
- why is everyone called flamenco in samurai flamenco (even I can’t answer that one
This post is made possible by kind contributors to this blog’s Patreon. If you like what you’ve read, please consider donating to help keep it running.
Congratulations on the three-year anniversary! Thanks for all the great analysis, and for introducing me to several stellar series and movies I might otherwise have passed by or never known. As it happens I started watching anime seriously a little over three years ago, just before you started posting, and (following the trail of Dee Hogan’s blogroll) put Fashionable Tinfoil Accessories in my newsfeed list almost exactly two years ago. It’s always a good day when a new post shows up in it.
My thanks to you for your support and readership! It’s always nice to feel like one isn’t screaming into the void.
Congratulations, and many happy returns! I continue to admire your sharp analysis, eye for nuance and good taste.
My thanks to you! Here’s hoping I continue to entertain.
Congrats! Here’s to hoping for more years of your amazing content and thank you for making them ^^